CAPE COAST ARTS & HERITAGE TRUST (NEW ZEALAND REGISTERED CHARITY #CC53879)

©2018 by Cape Coast Arts & Heritage Trust. Proudly created with Wix.com

Follow Us

February 2, 2020

“The noise and clouds of dust rising from the cliffs was apocalyptic. His father held onto him as they swayed drunkenly as if on a boat. Trees came crashing down in the plantation behind the houses. But the most vivid memory Dad had ... was watching spellbound as the s...

December 17, 2019

Former Te Awanga resident Colin Trevelyan, a collector of old cars and cameras, once owned the Living Image Vintage Camera Museum and a commercial hovercraft that took visitors out to see the gannets. Trevelyan has a photographic memory, reciting histories, model numb...

November 7, 2019

Derek van Asch was a local legend; a do it yourself, number 8 wire inventor, founding member of the Haumoana fire brigade, pioneering pea cropper for Jim Wattie, keen photographer and film maker. Derek once owned 100 acres of land from the massive old gum tree at the...

August 6, 2019

George and Catherine Glenny from Old Croft, Carlisle, Scotland acquired a 716 acre (290 ha) sheep farm on the slopes of Te Awanga in 1927, naming it Wilton after the village of Wilton Dene near Hawick Scotland where Catherine was born. The “easy contoured, rolling cou...

June 20, 2019

His passion for Morris Minors, initially handed down from family members, turned into a classic collection of British cars that soon outgrew its original Te Awanga showroom to overfill an old kiwifruit packhouse in East Rd, Haumoana.

April 16, 2019

Access to Te Awanga was by metal road until it was finally sealed in the late 1930s with metal provided from a large quarry near the present day entrance to Cape Kidnappers Farm and golf course. The first tarseal surface went only as far as Vidals (Clearview Winery)...

March 28, 2019

It was a harsh and difficult section of land to farm with several changes over the next two decades as different parties either leased or owned it. Sam Charlton farmed the area from 1910 and built the homestead known as Tiromoana (Sea view); the entrance road is named...