By 1936, the bridge was clearly past its use by date; the decking was slippery and dangerous for horses and cattle and while sand was still spread across it, the constant flow of motor vehicles quickly dispersed this coating.
Random tobacco plants continue to appear in Haumoana and Te Awanga gardens and paddocks more than a century after the closure of a short-lived experiment by the founder of the New Zealand Tobacco Company.
In the lead up to WW1 a promising crop of tobacco covered 200 ac...
Irishman William Morris, the earliest European settler in Hawke’s Bay, established a shore whaling station at Whakaari near Tangoio in 1841 and then at Rangaika on the southern side of Cape Kidnappers in 1845.
In the first years of the 20th century, Clive Grange Beach, the Tukituki river mouth and camp ground were a popular holiday spot with many day trippers heading out for a picnic.
Tattersall’s stables ran a dray to the beach at 9am every Sunday, for a return fare of 2/6d...
Until the original Black Bridge was completed in 1888, the only access to the coastal regions of Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton was by sea or horse and cart across mud flats at low tide from East Clive.
About 900-years ago; before the Takitimu waka arrived with its crew of high priests and experts, Whatonga and his wife Hotuwaipara, the first residents of Hawke’s Bay, were living along the Cape Coast.